Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"We're going to Kentucky"

It is exactly 25 days before I get on a plane to go and visit my family in Kentucky. I am so excited I’m not even sure there are words to explain how I am feeling right now. There is however one thing I am not looking forward to on this trip, and that is getting back my accent(which wouldn't you know of course Spencer loves). Slowly I have lost my good ole fashioned country accent, there hasn't been a trace of it for years . Ok there is...but only when I say the word ruin apparently. And wouldn't you know that I'm one of those people that seems to use that word quite a bit. Just ask any of my friends and I'm sure they would be more than happy to give the demonstration on how I say it, I however will not. But it never fails that whenever I go back for a little vacation I leave sounding like Elly May from the Beveraly Hillbillies. But after a week I'm usually good as new with the exception of course of "ruin".

So I haven’t seen my parents, my little brother and grandma since my wedding, so it’s been about a year and as far as the rest of my family is concerned it’s been almost 2 years!! Mostly I just can’t wait to give my little brother the biggest hug I have ever given him. Last time I saw him I was in my wedding dress and the little munchkin wouldn’t even come near me. At the time John Morgan, my brother, was about 2 and a half and had of course fallen madly in love with my flower girl as she was a little over 3. And apparently, at some point during their 4 hour love affair they had decided that she looked like a beautiful princess and that I a scary witch. A WITCH… maybe Glenda the good witch from the Wizard of OZ, but not a mean ugly witch that wants to boil little children in stew. Now according to my mother up until this point John Morgan had never even heard of a witch let alone know what one looks like… leave it to the flower girl to steal my thunder ;) . I mean it was pretty heart breaking to not say good bye to the kid so I just hope he is prepared to get one of the biggest hugs and sloppiest kisses ever.

I am also really excited for Spencer. He misses my parents and little brother almost as much as I do, and can’t wait to see them. It will be nice for him see the rest of my family again as well. Before we got married he had only met them once before, so of course it was a little nerve racking and uncomfortable. But now he is officially one of us so all he has to do is sit back and enjoy the entertainment of which is my family. … I mean I give us some credit but come on… we are from Kentucky after all.

This is a little song we used to sing on the way to the Kentucky fair. Corny I know...but what can I say I still have a little hick in me I guess. Like they say, you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.

We're going to Kentucky
We're going to the fair
to see the senoritas with roses in their hair
so shake it baby shake it
shake it if you dare
we're going to Kentucky
we're going to fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment